Humbug Scrub Fire Siren
The future of the old Humbug Scrub fire siren in the vicinity of Kersbrook Rd and Kelly Hill Rd is in poor repair and it needs a new home. Between August and October 2021, the One Tree Hill Progress Association sought feedback from residents about the need for the siren through a Grapevine questionnaire. We received just under 40 submissions and almost all strongly supported getting the fire siren going again. Most people are concerned about the lack of warning about the impending approach of a fire, citing reasons such as poor phone coverage or isolation, often at the end of a road.
The CFS no longer rely on community sirens to call out their volunteers, but they still sound the town siren when a fire threatens the township. We understand the One Tree Hill CFS would be prepared to remotely activate a local community siren if residents are willing to financially support and maintain the siren. The One Tree Hill Progress Association is happy to coordinate efforts to resurrect the service, especially now that we know that there is strong community support to keep the Humbug Scrub siren.
Where to from here? The Progress Association will call contact those residents who submitted a survey response and invite them to a meeting at the One Tree Hill Institute to formulate a project plan to get the fire siren up and running. A tentative time/date is 7:30pm on Thursday 25Nov21. We will need to:
- find the best location, including as high as possible and availability of single-phase power
- cost of fabricating and installing a new support tower
- cost of running power to the siren at the new location
- cost of setting up the GPRS phone switching system for remote operation
- ongoing operating costs (and where the money will come from)
- and anything else we haven't already thought of!